Swiss National Museum
Prangins

Parks and domains - Vegetable gardens - Historic gardens

Swimming pools - Pools - Maintenance - Horticulturists - Plants nurseries - Pruning - Triming - Fellling - Planting - Lawns - Masonry - Surface treatments - Earthmoving - Lighting

The restored kitchen garden at the ‘Château de Prangins’ and its seedlings market have been attracting gardening enthusiasts since 1998. Situated below the entrance courtyard to the chateau, it is one of the Swiss National Museum’s most visited attractions, not only for the beauty of its form but for the collection of old vegetable varieties that are grown there. The layout of the garden is simple: four compartments separated by two perpendicular paths. At the point where they cross, there is a pond dating from 1729. The garden is enclosed by high walls, against which fruit trees have been trained. The park at the ‘Château de Prangins’ extends almost to the lake and, as in the eighteenth century, is open to the public all year round.

 

Produced in collaboration with Christophe Amsler, architect, Lausanne

Pictures : Thomas Hensiger, Geneva – Marina Denogent, Prangins - Corinne Cuendet, Clarens